Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Another delicious cake... Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.



I started with my favorite chocolate cake recipe, and while the taste was perfect, it wasn't sturdy enough to stand up to the peanut butter buttercream.  I'm still looking for a chocolate cake recipe that will bake up pretty & sturdy!



I torted the layers and filled them with the peanut butter buttercream.  I used a chocolate frosting for the writing and decorating for the ultimate spin on a peanut butter cup, in cake form!

Peanut Butter Buttercream
adapted from Wilton

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup shortening (you can use all butter if you wish)
3/4 cup peanut butter*
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
4-6 tablespoons heavy cream

Cream butter, shortening, and peanut butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth & creamy.  Add vanilla and mix until combined.  Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue to mix until it is completely mixed in.  At this point, the mixture will be very dry and crumby.  Add the cream slowly, and as it combines, turn the mixer up to medium and let it beat for 1 or 2 minutes, until fluffy.  You may need to add a bit more cream to get it to a thin spreading consistency.

I used a double batch to fill and ice this cake.

*I used 1/2 cup peanut butter & 1/4 cup Nutella & I highly recommend you do the same!

2 comments:

Sweet as Coco said...

Wow!! Looks SO good! It looks like you have been quite busy in cakeland too!!

reesa said...

That sounds so delicious!!!!!