|Mini French Toast & Bacon Cupcake|
slightly adapted from Life with Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- Brown Sugar Maple Buttercream Frosting, recipe follows
- Crisp Bacon
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Raise the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla, and also set aside.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter one at time, waiting for each one to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Alternately add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, waiting for each to be fully incorporated before adding the next (scrape the bowl down occasionally). Raise the speed to medium and mix briefly until a smooth batter is formed.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cups in the muffin pan.
- Bake, rotating the pan once, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- 2-3 TBSP heavy cream
- Cream the butter and the brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the powdered sugar at low speed and mix until combined
- Add the maple flavoring and heavy cream and beat until fluffy
- Frost the cupcakes & garnish with bacon pieces.