Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spritz Butter Cookies

It's the first day of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Series!  Over the next 12 days, I'm going to be sharing my favorite Christmas cookies with you!



First up are Spritz Butter cookies.  I'll be honest that I've never made these before, and the only ones I remember trying are the hard, tasteless cookies from the store that came in a plastic container.  However, I managed to snag a cookie press at 75% off at last year's after Christmas sales, so Spritz cookies it is :)

I searched through a few recipes to find one that I hoped would be the best.  The addition of the cream cheese in this recipe was ultimately what made me choose it.  I knew it would give the cookies a rich, creamy flavor that can't be achieved by only butter.

The recipe also called for cinnamon and orange zest, which are both usually welcomed ingredients.  I added just half of the cinnamon and omitted the orange zest, as I wanted a more pure butter flavored cookie.


Buttery Snowflake Spritz Cookies
yield: 6 dozen
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour, salt, and cinnamon, set aside.  Cream together butter and cream cheese, add sugar and egg yolk and beat until fluffy.  Mix in vanilla, then gradually add dry ingredients. Follow instructions for filling cookie press.  Add colored sugar sprinkles if desired, then bake for 12-15 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.  Store in an airtight container; will keep well frozen.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

1 comment:

D2 said...

We LOVE Spritz cookies and make them every year and decorate them with homemade icing as a Family! I have never put cinnnamon in them though? (or orange zest)!